In 1930, M. Wesson Dickinson obtained an insurance agents license in order to represent a large capital stock insurance company. At this time, the insurance business was a sideline. A prominent Detroit businessman and Michigan political leader, Dickinson was appointed Deputy Secretary of State under Governor Frank Fitzgerald.
The agency that is Republic Underwriters today began to truly take form in 1939. E. Parker Dickinson had worked for several years for a large insurance agency in charge of Probate and other bonds, and in 1939 a partnership was formed when he joined his father in offices in the David Stott Building.
During those early years, Republic Underwriters was primarily concerned with personal insurance lines.
Following World War II, increased emphasis was placed on commercial and business insurance. Industrial concerns, municipalities, associations...the list of satisfied commercial clients grew.
After many years in the Free Press Building and Ferndale, our offices were moved to the present Clawson, Michigan location. Arthur Dickinson, grandson of the founder, joined the firm in 1960, following several years as an insurance adjuster with a major Detroit company gaining a comprehensive knowledge of all phases of insurance.
Mr. Dickinson's three children are also part of the firm.